Wednesday 25 January 2012

The Who What When Where.

Hi, Let me tell you a little about me!
My Name is Renee and I am the Creator of the Young Mums Of Brisbane FB page.
I am 26years old married to my awesome hubby Kev and together we have our two Crazy and Cute kids, Miss S (2) and Master B (7months).
Kev and I met at the pub of all places when was 21. I was going through a messy break up and my life was an absolute shambles. I had lost all direction.....Until that day!
After 2 weeks of spending just about every waking hour together I officially moved in. 6 Months later we were engaged.
2 Years later on the 22nd of April 09 we got married. It was the most fun day shared with  family and friends, it was filled with lots of Laughter and Love.
Almost exactly one month later we fell pregnant.
Being married and have babies was thing I ALWAYS wanted. I did however get quite a familiar response mixed in with those of joy. Quite often people would say to me "don't get married yet your still young." or "Why do yo want a baby your so young?".
Yes I was young but I had found the one I wanted to be with the rest of my life and together we wanted to start a family. NO I didn't want to travel and NO I didn't care that I wouldn't be able to go out anymore.
On the 10th Of Feb 2010 we welcomed into the world our daughter Skye.
I am going to be brutally honest now and admit that I didn't fall in love at first sight. I'd had a horrible 38 hr Labor which ended in me having a Cesarian losing 2 liters of blood on the operating table and vomiting constantly.
Skye and Kev were taken into another room and it was 2 hours before I was able to hold our daughter for the first time.
She was weird looking and cried non stop. I didn't know what to do and the nurses weren't much help. I'd gone through something I felt was so traumatic and then been handed a crying baby who had a cone head and cried and cried and cried where was the emergency exit??
Life didn't get much easier at home. I needed support but didn't want to ask for help as I felt I was failing as a mother. After a couple of months and lots of tears I ended up going to the doctors and getting anti-depressants.
When I got home with the medication I took 1 tablet and felt sick and spaced out. This for me was the kick in the butt I needed to make me see that things really weren't that bad and that I needed to step back and relax.  My doctor had suggest going to play groups and I went to 2 which just weren't for me. The first I went to I was the youngest with the youngest baby the women were already quite cliquey and I felt out of place the only thing I had in common was that I was a mum but unfortunately that wasn't enough. The second I tagged along with a friend we'd met at birthing classes and It was at a church. I should have know it wasn't going to work for me as I am in no way religious but I really wanted to give it a go. At the end I left never to return.
This is when I created Young mums of Brisbane to connect with other young mums in the area.
I remember when the page got to it's first 100 likers I was SO excited I was able to jump in the page and ask other mothers for advice, now at last look the page is standing at 1,059 Likers!
There are so many other wonderful mums out there that are young and want to connect with people they can feel comfortable with. I have been lucky enough to meet a few of our mummies and they are the most down to earth people, I found we had more in common and they just want to meet other mums like them.
Since starting the page Kev and I have welcomed our second baby into the world and now our life feels complete.We no longer live in Brisbane but half hour west in the small town of Fernvale. I still LOVE the young mum's of Brisbane page though and I love welcoming all of our new likers!
I hope that this year we can really get some playdates up and running so us and our kiddies can make some new friends. Hopefully new friends for life!








2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing and its great to see that I was not the only mum that felt very overwhelmed at the start even though I thought I would be fine, especially after working in childcare with babies for years. Ahh wrong! I too had to go on anti-depressents for a while, didnt want to but did and I think it just helped that little bit in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome Skye, I was hugely overwhelmed swearing to never have anymore kids.
    Look at me now two kids in tow (only 17 months apart) and for a while there I contemplated a third.
    Sometimes at the start all we need is a little help.
    The hard part can sometimes be asking for it.
    It's a shame there is such a stigma with antidepressants.
    I feel they can actually be hugely beneficial.
    Happy Mum = Happy Baby =D

    ReplyDelete